OverviewRacism is the belief that one "race" (a term which does not have a universal or specific definition) is generally "superior" to other races, and that members of the "superior" race should enjoy greater privileges and power than those of the "inferior" race. Those who adhere to this belief generally consider themselves as belonging to the race they consider "superior".
Racism is distinct from prejudice in that most people work to overcome their prejudices, while a racist nurtures and protects such prejudices from the facts, experiences, and rational criticism which would otherwise reduce or eliminate them over time. Racism is thus an application of ideological protectionism.
- Conservapedia: (2008-02-05) short article mainly discussing racism in the US
- dKosopedia: (2008-02-05) very brief article
 Filed Links
many of these need to be moved to US racism
 version 2
- 2008-07-28 [Talk|Index] Raleigh mall melee: A new lens into the way others see Durham? § Commenter on a Raleigh, NC online forum: “I want to live as far as possible from bus service, and I don't care who is offended by it. I don't need a bus, and I don't want anyone to take the bus to my house. And frankly, I would just as soon shop and play at a bus-fee location too.”
- 2008-07-04 [Talk|Index] Former Sen. Jesse Helms dies at age 86 § “What really sets Jesse Helms apart is that he is the last prominent unabashed white racist politician in this country – a title that one hopes will now be permanently retired. A few editorials and columns came close to saying that. But the squeamishness of much of the press in characterizing Helms for what he is suggests an unwillingness to confront the reality of race in our national life. ... What is unique about Helms – and from my viewpoint, unforgivable – is his willingness to pick at the scab of the great wound of American history, the legacy of slavery and segregation, and to inflame racial resentment against African Americans.”
- 2008-05-26 [Talk|Index] Poor whites are being conned § “Jon Stewart of The Daily Show ran a clip of a white woman who explained her refusal to vote for Obama thusly: I guess because he is another race. I'm sort of scared of the other race 'cause we have so much conflict with 'em. She spoke in the vaguely shamefaced, what're-you-gonna-do? voice of someone who knows she should stick to her diet or stop smoking, but just can't help herself.”
- 2008-04-08 [Talk|Index] MassResistance and White Supremist Find Common Cause § “I would laugh if some concerned father(s) donned ski masks and gloves, took a ride over to this arrogant prick's house and knocked the living shit out of him. I advocate parents using FORCE AND VIOLENCE against Superintendent Paul B. Ash as a method of defending the health and safety of school children presently being endangered through his politically-correct indoctrination into deadly, disease-ridden sodomite lifestyles.”
- 2008-03-31 [Talk|Index] Shades of Gray § By Dahlia Lithwick: “Barack Obama has gotten past affirmative action. Have we?”
- 2007-12-20 [Talk|Index] "Angry Black Man" Does GOTV § “The calls were extremely highly targeted, household by household, no message ever left on an answering machine. We wanted the message heard only by people whose reaction would be "I'm not voting for Holt because he uses scary black men to call my house."”
- 2008-02-02 Amazing Racism: A study of the English football (soccer) league between 1978 and 1993 showed that "Clubs that bucked the norm and fielded several black players did not suffer lower attendance or revenues as a result. But they did enjoy a higher league position with a lower wage bill than the typical club – clear evidence that black players were underpaid on racial grounds."