Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
 OverviewThe 2008 movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (the title is presumably a reference to intelligent design) is an unintentionally self-descriptive propaganda film intended to advance the anti-Darwinian claim that the scientific establishment is actively working against any alternatives to the theory of evolution by natural selection by "expelling" any scientists who advocate such alternatives. The film tries to build the case for a conspiracy among scientists to squash any views which contradict Darwinism.
 Unintended Irony
There was a notable event at a screening of the film where Myers was expelled from the theater with no explanation, while his guests (who included Dawkins and the staff of the Richard Dawkins Foundation) were allowed to remain. The sheer irony of this event, as well as the poor way in which it was handled, has been the subject of much discussion and hilarity in the blogosphere.
Additional irony can be seen in the fact that attendees to this event were warned that there would be a $250,000 fine if they were caught recording the movie in any way. The movie claims that the science establishment is attempting to suppress the point of view espoused by the movie, but in this case who is doing the suppressing?
dKosopediano equivalent page (as of 2008-04-06)
SourceWatchno equivalent page (as of 2008-04-06)
- Expelled Exposed: a project of the National Center for Science Education
- 2008-01-17 Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (Super Trailer): presents the case of Dr. Richard Sternberg, claiming that he was "the object of a massive campaign that smeared his reputation and came close to destroying his career" for publishing an article by Dr. Steven C. Meyer of the pro-creationism Discovery Institute in a journal associated with the Smithsonian Institution.
 Filed Links
 version 2
- 2008-05-17 [Talk|Index] 90 Minutes of Awful § by Etha Jean Williams: “A prime example of this is his apparent ignorance of the Wedge Document. After hearing a large part of the scientific community decrying the Disco Institute, BS goes to visit them and asks them if they are trying to push creationism/God. And since these are the second people whose view is being presented, they're naturally right. This is incredibly typical of the movie: present the "wrong" side, then show someone from the "right" side contradicting it. A contradiction doesn't imply that you should look into the matter further and try to ascertain the merits of each position -- it means that the second ("right" -- ID) side is correct, and the first ("wrong" -- evolution) side is incorrect.”
- 2008-05-15 [Talk|Index] Freedom Fighter Kevin Wirth Fights Freedom § “Crackpot creatard Kevin Wirth [is] publishing a book by one of the "hundreds" of alleged expellees, Jerry Bergman”, who ”was fired for lying about his credentials.”
- 2008-05-03 [Talk|Index] Ipse Dixit: Ben Stein Wants to Destroy America § “Now skepticism is newly enveloping allegations of an Iraqi plot to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush during a trip to Kuwait in 1993.”
- 2008-04-28 [Talk|Index] A Blood Libel on Our Civilization § “What on earth has happened to Ben Stein? ... Though I’ve never met him, I know people who know him, and they all speak well of him. ... So what’s going on here with this stupid Expelled movie? ... It’s pretty plain that the thing is creationist porn, propaganda for ignorance and obscurantism. How could a guy like this do a thing like that?”
- 2008-04-09 [Talk|Index] SciAm on Expelled § “First Fox News, now Scientific American gives Expelled both barrels. They dedicated a fair amount of space to ripping into the movie, and you might be wondering if it isn't giving the movie more publicity than it deserves, a question I'm getting asked a lot, too. Of course it is! The controversy is exactly what they want, since it will help put butts in seats. However, this is bad publicity, and what serves our ends is that people see the movie skeptically, and are made aware of the fundamental dishonesty of the makers.”
- 2008-04-09 [Talk|Index] Flunked, Not Expelled: Not Even Fox Likes It § as PZ Myers observes, "you know a right wing Christianist propaganda film is bad when even Fox News pans it."
- 2008-04-09 [Talk|Index] Ben Stein Launches a Science-free Attack on Darwin § by Michael Shermer: “In 1974 I matriculated at Pepperdine University as a born-again Christian who rejected Darwinism and evolutionary theoryâ€”not because I knew anything about it (I didn't) but because I thought that in order to believe in God and accept the Bible as true, you had to be a creationist. What I knew about evolution came primarily from creationist literature, so when I finally took a course in evolutionary theory in graduate school I realized that I had been hoodwinked. What I discovered is a massive amount of evidence from multiple sciencesâ€”geology, paleontology, biogeography, zoology, botany, comparative anatomy, molecular biology, genetics and embryologyâ€”demonstrating that evolution happened.”
- Sexpelled: No Intercourse Allowed: brief video parody using clips from Expelled