Senator Barack Obama was elected President of the United States in 2008, in a major landslide victory. He is the first African-American to be elected to this office or even nominated for it by a major political party.
- There are some fears Obama might be assassinated.
- Obama's /birth certificate was demanded by Republicans trying to build a case that Obama is not legally qualified to be president, during the closing days of the race
- The /Muslim smear is false but was nonetheless widely believed right through the election (it remains to be seen whether this rumor will persist)
- /criticism of Obama
- Racist fears intensified dramatically as Obama's victory became likely and then actual
- /writings: pieces written (or spoken from prepared notes) by Obama
- /impeachment: conservatives want to impeach Obama for supposedly doing stuff that George W. Bush actually did but which they apparently believe Bush couldn't possibly have done because he was moral.
- /academia: Obama's academic career
- /senate: Obama's career as the senator from Illinois
- /campaign for the presidency
- /victory: reactions to the historic event
- /transition: transitioning from Bush to Obama
- Obama-Biden administration: presidential administration
- Eyes on Obama: seems generally pro-Obama (domain registered to Imran Media, a company in Menlo Park, California)
- Obama 2.0: ostensibly a site which "digs a little deeper" into Obama, by which they apparently mean criticism. Seems generally conservative and pro-big-business.
- 2011-07-13 [L..T] What Happened to the $2.6 Trillion Social Security Trust Fund? "I cannot guarantee that those checks [he included veterans and the disabled, in addition to Social Security] go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it." "...either Obama and Geithner are lying to us now, or they and all defenders of the Social Security status quo have been lying to us for decades. It must be one or the other."
- 2011-07-13T20:08:00 [L..T] Cantor Says Obama Stormed Out Of Debt Ceiling Meeting, As All Progress In Talks "Erased" House Majority Leader Eric Cantor told reporters that President Obama walked out "angrily" from a meeting on the debt ceiling; Democratic aides say that Cantor was rude and Obama merely ended the meeting for the day.
- 2011-07-14T06:51:00 [L..T] Barack Obama storms out of meeting
No links filed yet for topic “Barack Obama”. [refresh]
News & Views
- 2007-11-14 4Barack by Lawrence Lessig
- 2007-08-10 How the Democrats Blew It in Only Eight Months by Alexander Cockburn, The Nation: 'Then Obama drew even fiercer fire by saying he would take nukes off the table in the war on terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan. "I think it would be a profound mistake for us to use nuclear weapons in any circumstance," Obama told the AP on August 2, adding, after a pause, "involving civilians." Then he quickly said, "Let me scratch that. There's been no discussion of nuclear weapons. That's not on the table."' Well, at least he's flip-flopping in the right direction.
- 2007-05-07 Racism lurks in the shadows for Obama by Leonard Pitts, Jr.: more about racism in the US than about Obama; cross-posted.
- 2007-04-22 Obama: Blacks as guilty as Imus (cross-posted to racism in the US)
- Wolf Blitzer: "I want you to raise your hand if you believe English should be the official language of the United States."
- Barack Obama: "This is the kind of question that is designed precisely to divide us. You know, you're right. Everybody is going to learn to speak English if they live in this country. The issue is not whether or not future generations of immigrants are going to learn English. The question is: How can we come up with both a legal, sensible immigration policy? And when we get distracted by those kinds of questions, I think we do a disservice to the American people." 
- 2007-02-11 In response to 60 Minutes correspondent Steve Kroft's question: "Would you advocate the use of military force to keep Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons?": "I think we should keep all options on the table..." (sources; related: potential US invasion of Iran)